Procurement - How does it work?
NHS Centre for Procurement Efficiency
- The Department of Health and NHS England’s August 2013 strategy document “Better Procurement, Better Value, Better Care” included a commitment to increasing eProcurement within the NHS https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/226835/procurement_development_programme_for_NHS.pdf
- This follows on from the document entitled Innovation, Health and Wealth published in 2011 http://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/adopt-diff.pdf which focused on adoption and diffusion of innovation in the NHS
- As part of this, an NHS eProcurement Strategy was announced in April 2014, this led to the development of a NHS Centre for Procurement Efficiency (CPE)
- This includes an online collaborative portal, which is the hub for “networking and knowledge management for procurement in the NHS”. There are 4 workspaces available on the NHS CPE Portal
- Procurement Members Area
- Clinical Procurement Specialist Network Workspaces
- East of England Tissue Viability Network
- Mental Health Trusts
- Each workspace contains information related to a strand of work led or sponsored by the Department of Health.
- Each workspace has the same capabilities and functionality, and can be configured to include resources to be downloaded, templates, forums and a platform for its members to share information.